Privately held Aluma Tower Company, Inc is the world’s preeminent supplier of aluminum mobile tower systems with thousands of units successfully deployed globally. The company is headquartered in Vero Beach, FL.
Aluma conceives, designs, engineers, manufactures, integrates, deploys, and services its core products. These products include a robust line of customizable telescoping towers, both guyed and un-guyed. Aluma’s towers can be fix-mounted or mounted on company-manufactured skids, truck beds, open trailers, and shelter trailers. Additional products include highly customized, environmentally controlled radio cabinets and shelters, integration and test of customer furnished or Aluma provided equipment, and post-delivery support and logistics. Available accessories include custom antenna brackets, and generators and other portable power solutions, including solar panels and obstruction lighting.
Industries traditionally served by the company include military, telecommunications service providers, law enforcement, emergency management, surveillance, weather monitoring, oil and gas, and utilities. Aluma is currently expanding into additional vertical markets, driven by an enhanced focus on customer applications and use cases coupled with 5G/6G technology and accelerating movement to private networks. This new focus is opening an enormous wave of opportunities for Aluma in education, rural broadband, and private company sectors.
Poised for a period of dramatic growth we are searching for a seasoned, accomplished, respected, innovative technology-related industry Engineer to serve as Director of Engineering. The ideal candidate will be progressive in the role to become equipped for promotion to Vice President, Engineering within 18 months.
The Director of Engineering will supervise the design, development, analysis, and testing of aluminum telescopic towers, shelters, trailers, and all related components. He or she will review and approve drawings representing design intent and review and interpret specifications as applicable to the Engineering department. The focus is on securing sound, cost-optimized, and production friendly solutions while fulfilling the requirements for product safety and functionality. The position will work directly will the Director of Product Management in the design, prototype, and testing of new products to ensure the company remains the industry leader in innovation. This position is hands on and will have involvement creating designs/drawings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works under minimal supervision, having significant latitude in approach and methodology
- Self-starter and team player that thrives in an entrepreneurial environment with a sense of urgency
- Contributes to the development of new technical concepts and their application
- Typically functions as primary technical interface with other internal functions, customers, and vendors on major programs or objectives
- Responsible for project creation and execution supporting continual factory improvement actions such as first past yield, error proofing, labor standard reductions, reliability, and product costs.
- Manages productivity efforts to reduce overall development throughput cycle cost
- Ensures work standards exist for all operational processes
- Coordinates Supply Chain Engineering Change Order (ECO/ECN)
- Manages the planning and implementation of departmental objectives
- Establishes department level budget and capital expenditure plan
- Supports manufacturing and assembly teams involved in design and specification
- Assesses and develops requirements for projects involving structures and mounting of antennas
- Works with tower installation customers to successfully implement designs, including field validation for compliance
- Evaluates hardware and verification through testing
- Plans and executes formal problem root cause analysis and corrective action
- Responds to and resolves discrepancy reports from the production floor
- Creates Engineering Change Requests detailing necessary changes to released designs and routes those through the approval process
- Research and interfaces with vendors on products that meet job design requirements and obtains quotes on specialized components
- Writes technical documents, test procedures, installation procedures, and process documents
Participates in cost reduction and development innovations that meet customer requirements and facilitate efficiency
- Participates in Basis of Estimates (BOEs) for customer quotes
Collaborates with Manufacturing and Quality teams to develop the next generation of telescoping communication towers
- Chairs technical design reviews and failure investigations
- Supports off hours and weekend routine and trouble resolution events
- Provides design oversight and consultation to Engineering team members
- Supervises root cause and corrective action investigations for in-house and fielded products
- Ensures that all projects comply with OSHA, EPA, and other federal and local regulatory agencies
- Ensures project designs comply with appropriate standards (ASME, NATM, NEC, etc.)
- Maintains healthy and safe work environment by establishing and enforcing procedures compliant with health and safety standards
- Develops strategies for forward-thinking, three to five-year plans and presents such strategies for approval to the GM
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced understanding and application of electrical and mechanical principles, concepts, and practices
- Demonstrated strengths with respect to manufacturing capabilities, ERP/MRP systems, and negotiation tactic Demonstrated success in making decisions and executing strategic plans
- Proven ability to influence and lead teams, and drive positive change
- Extensive proven track record implementing Lean Concepts
- Broad knowledge of materials applications
- Mid- and small-company mixed experience, leading engineering in a rapid growth environment
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Master’s preferred, and 10 years’ experience in a manufacturing environment with progressive growth
- Experience leading an Engineering team for 5+ years
- Licensed Professional Engineer with ability to obtain PE stamp in the state of Florida
- SOLIDWORKS®, EPDM, and ERP (Global Shop Solutions preferred) experience
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) on structural/mechanical assemblies
This job description is an overview of the job and is not intended to include all tasks or responsibilities. Additional tasks or responsibilities may be assigned at the discretion of Management. The company reserves the right to modify this description as it sees fit.
The company offers an upper quadrant benefits package and opportunities for career advancement. Available at www.alumatower.com, our “Cultural Deck” details the company’s value system including a focus on helping each employee achieve their “Full Potential”.
Aluma Tower Company, Inc. requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination upon hire.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.